Centre for Maritime Safety


Email Facebook
Print the page


If you’re operating a PWC in NSW, you must hold a current PWC Licence. There are two types of PWC licence:

  • PWC Licence for those aged 16 years and over.
  • Young Adult PWC Licence for people aged from 12 to less than 16 years.

A Young Adult PWC licence is subject to the following restrictions:

  • Be accompanied by the holder of a PWC Licence when travelling at 10 knots or more
  • Never exceed 20 knots
  • Never travel at 10 knots or more when towing a person
  • Not drive in any aquatic event with out NSW Maritime approval

Licence period

You can get a PWC Licence for either one (1), three (3) or five (5) years. However, Young Adult Licenses are only available for one year. All PWC licences are issued as plastic photo identity cards.

Note: In order to obtain a PWC licence you must first pass the General Boat Licence test.

You can find more information on how to obtain a PWC Drivers Licence on the RMS website.